FAQFrequently Asked Questions
We have compiled a list of commonly asked questions about our program. If you have other questions or some of the answers aren’t clear, please feel free to reach out to us and we will be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.
How do Free Trial Lessons work?
The free trial lesson is our way of introducing you to our school and your instructor. As this is not just a “freebie”, we expect that if you have a positive experience, you will be ready to resume lessons at the same day and time the following weeks. Please do not schedule a trial lesson if you are unable to do so.
- For new customers only.
- Trial lessons are subject to instructor availability.
- A 24 hour cancellation notice is required, otherwise the next lesson will be a paid lesson.
- Free trial lessons are for private lessons only and do not apply to camps or groups.
Why do I need to provide my credit card for a free trial?
The first lesson is absolutely free and we will never charge your card until you let us know that you liked the trial and would like to continue lessons with us. We ask for payment information up front because over 90% of our trial students end up taking weekly lessons with us, and it’s much easier for you, and for us, to get your credit card information when you first sign up.
- You don’t need to create an account.
- We will not save your time slot without payment information.
- Our system does not support the ability to “swipe” or “tap” in our studio.
- Unlike other free trials, we will never start charging your card “after x days”.
- We will fully delete your card from our system upon request.
How Do We Get Started?
To get started, please visit our FREE Trial Lesson page and enter your information for a free trial lesson.
Lesson Options & Rates
Weekly Private Lessons
- $150/month for 30 mins
- $215/month for 45 mins
- $280/month for 1 hour
Weekly Group Lessons
- $135/month for 30 mins
- $180/month for 45 mins
- $245/month for 1 hour
We charge a one-time $35 fee to help cover enrollment and administrative costs.
*Prices subject to change
*If you are using charter vouchers for payment please contact us for specific terms required.
How do Group Lessons work?
- Group lessons generally have a lower rate than private lessons.
- Free trial lessons are for private lessons only and do not apply to camps or groups.
- We don’t provide makeup classes for group lessons unless we have a similar group lesson scheduled at a different time that you are able to attend.
Who is Music Lab?
Music Lab is an extension of Drum Lab, an award-winning drum school. The Drum Lab opened its doors in May of 2005 with one main goal: to set a new standard for drumming education. After 11 years of being in business, many customers started requesting for us to expand to other instruments. We heard our customers and opened Music Lab to start teaching other instruments and expanding our program. Music Lab offers a comprehensive, hands-on education in contemporary musical techniques and styles. We pride ourselves on QUALITY. What separates us from our competitors is quality education from experienced and educated instructors.
You can learn more about Music Lab Schools and our other locations here: https://musiclab.co
What Do We Need After Lesson One?
What is necessary for future lessons are the following:
- Your instrument (unless you are taking lessons where the instrument is present, like piano or drums). If you are taking guitar lessons please bring your guitar if you can. We have guitars in the studio for you to use if you don’t have one yet or forget yours at home.
Do I need a drum set?
In the beginning, you can learn how to play and practice using just sticks and a practice pad. Eventually, it would help your learning process if you are able to acquire or have access to some kind of acoustic, electric, or practice pad drum set up.
What Do We Need For Lesson One?
For your first lesson, all we need is for you to be ready to embark on this new musical journey with us. If you would like to bring anything else you are more than welcome to do so.
How do we pick an instructor?
We will help you pick an instructor that best fits the needs of the student. How you can help us to choose one for you is by including some info about the student in your trial lesson form or email to us like:
- Music Experience/ Level
- Musical Interests/ Styles
- Musical Goals
- Other helpful information about the student.
Can We Change Instructors?
We like for you to stay with one instructor for consecutive lessons, but if you would eventually like to try out other instructors that is totally an option. All you need to do is let either the Music Lab location owner or your instructor know and we will have you transition to one of our other instructors and continue furthering your education and journey at Music Lab.
Where Can I Purchase An Instrument?
- If you are not ready to purchase your own instrument, we rent guitars and ukuleles.
- If you need help picking the right instrument, please talk to your instructor and they can provide guidance.
- We highly recommend The Nicholson Music Company in Folsom on E. Bidwell Street (at Wales). They can help you find the right size instrument and they usually have a nice selection of entry-level instruments for rental or purchase. They provide assistance and service you will not get from Amazon or other online stores.
- If you are buying a stringed instrument, be sure to pick up an electronic, clip-on tuner at the same time.
Do you accept Charter School Vouchers?
We’re sorry but we do not accept payment vouchers. However, if your school uses the voucher system, please contact us for some special “earlybird” rates we have just for you!
How Do We Cancel Autopay?
Autopay lessons can be canceled with a 30-day cancelation notice.
How Do We Pay For Lessons?
All of our payments are made online. We have a manual payment option if you are doing just a few lessons at a time or we have an autopay option if you are doing consecutive lessons.
Does Music Lab Offer Rentable Space For Practice?
Unfortunately, we do not offer space for rent.
How Do I Update My Payment Method For The Autopay System?
You can log into your account and update your card in the online portal that we set you up with at sign-up.
Does Music Lab Refund For Missed Lessons?
Outside of the make-up policy mentioned above, since we have a specific lesson time slot reserved for each student and have a legal obligation to pay the instructor for that reserved slot, payment must be made regardless of attendance. This includes illness, vacations, etc.
How Do We Cancel An Upcoming Lesson?
Music Lab must be notified of the student’s inability to attend a lesson at least 24 hours in advance, otherwise no refund or make-up will be granted. Make-ups are only guaranteed if scheduled within 1 week of the student’s request.
Do We Have Vacation Periods or Days Off?
Music Lab will be closed for a weeklong break 4 times/year.
These weeks will be held on:
- Easter week (Spring Break)
- 4th of July week
- Thanksgiving week
- Christmas week
This will still give each student 48 lessons/year due to the 5th lesson/month that occurs 4 times/year.
What about Monday holidays?
Music Lab Folsom is generally open on Monday holidays such as Memorial Day and Labor Day.
- If you will not be able to attend, please let your instructor know so that they can schedule a make up lesson (this will not count against your quarterly make-up allowance).
- If your instructor wishes to have that day off, they will arrange to reschedule your lesson.
Will We Always Have The Same Instructor?
Music Lab will make every effort to keep a student with the same instructor. However, the student (by signing up) agrees that Music Lab has the discretion to reassign a student to a different instructor as needed. The student may also request to switch to a different instructor for any reason and Music Lab will make every effort to accommodate the student’s request. Also on occasion instructors might have days when they are not able to make a lesson, at which point they will provide a substitute, offer a refund for that lesson, or do a makeup lesson.
Does Music Lab Have Recitals?
Yes! We call them “Showcases”. We usually have these twice a year, once in the spring and once in the winter. We also may have a special Holiday Showcase in December. These are a fantastic way for students to work hard on a piece and then experience what it is like to perform in front of an audience. Check out our social media pages to see highlights from recent recitals!
Get In Touch
Location: 194 Blue Ravine Rd #110 Folsom, CA 95630
Hours: M-F: 12pm - 8pm, Sat: 10am - 2pm, Sun: Closed
Music Lab does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.
Music Lab is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran's status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.